Here is what you will need:
- 2 lbs. ground beef (lean beef is my favorite)
- 2 to 3 cans of dark red kidney beans (depending on your taste)
- 1 large can of petite diced tomatoes
- 2 cans Rotel original tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper-diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper-diced
- 1 medium to large onion- diced
- 2 packets chili seasoning- Lawry's seasoning is great, McCormick is too
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar (give or take a little, depending on your taste)
- a couple of sprinkles of garlic powder
- chopped jalapeños add a little extra kick if you desire
In a large pot, combine the kidney beans, diced tomatoes, Rotell, chopped pepper, 1 package of chili seasoning, brown sugar and jalapeños if desired. Dash some garlic powder into the mix for an extra burst of flavor! Go ahead and chop the onion to cook with your beef, and add as much as desired to the pot so all the flavors can zest together. Let the ingredients simmer while cooking your beef.
Thoroughly cook the beef in a large skillet with the remaining chopped onion and chili seasoning. Sometimes, I sprinkle a little garlic in the beef as well, but do not over do it.
As always, if you must, add a dash of salt to taste.
I hope your family will enjoy this simple recipe! Taste it as you go to determine how much you want to add of the ingredients. That is what is so special about this recipe, it conforms to your taste buds! So make this recipe YOURS!
A spoonful of sour cream and shredded cheese, with a helping of Fritos or Saltines, provides tasty company for this chili.